Roberto R. Muñoz brings more than 40 years of financial experience to his leadership role as Miami Market President and Commercial Banking and Wealth Management Executive at Capital Bank, a $40 billion division of Memphis-based First Horizon National Corporation. He was previously Commercial Banking and Wealth Team Leader for South Florida for Synovus Bank.
In his banking career, Mr. Muñoz has facilitated more than $27 billion of economic activity in Florida, the Caribbean, Central and South America in the areas of project finance, M&A, direct and indirect foreign investment, commercial, public, institutional, and specialty lending areas, as well as, global wealth and treasury management services. Prior to joining Capital Bank and Synovus Bank, Mr. Muñoz held executive positions in Miami with BBVA Compass Bank (South Florida Market President) , Professional Bank (EVP & Chief Lending Officer) , Marquis Bank (President, CEO, Chief Lending Officer and Voting member of the board of directors), Regions Bank (Senior Managing Director) , Israel Discount Bank (Chief Lending Officer for Florida), Mizuho Bank (Chief Representative), and Barclay’s Capital, PLC (Vice President and Credit Officer). He began his career with Bank of America in 1980.
Mr. Muñoz was born in Panama to American parents and lived in Hong Kong for six years as an adolescent. After moving to Miami, he earned an associate degree at Miami-Dade College, and a bachelor degree in finance and international business from Florida International University and now holds numerous diplomas and certificates in the field of banking. He is a visiting professor at FIU, and speaks regularly to professional and civic organizations on banking and leadership topics.
Mr. Muñoz is the 2019 chair of the World Trade Center Miami and serves in leadership roles in other South Florida civic organizations. He is an officer on the executive board of the Miami-Dade Beacon Council, where he helped guide trade missions to Spain in 2017 and 2018, and is a strategic member of the 2019 trade mission to Asia. He is treasurer and finance committee chair of the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, and former chairman and president of the Florida International Bankers Association, where he served as founding chair of the Asian Markets Committee, which initiated a historic compliance training agreement between FIBA and the Hong Kong Institute of Bankers. He is also serves on the executive and advisory boards of The Center for Financial Training Southeastern Chapter, the advisory board of the Center for Leadership at Florida International University; a board member of the Tibor and Sheila Hollo School of Real Estate at Florida International University; board member of the Florida Alternative Investment Association; and member of the Hong Kong Business Association of Florida
In the community, Mr. Muñoz is an executive board member of the South Florida Council, Boy Scouts of America; a board member of the Chapman Partnership for the Homeless; a trustee board member of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for South Florida. Reflecting his commitment to the community, Mr. Muñoz has received numerous awards and recognitions, including the following:
- Recipient of the 2019 “Distinguished Citizen Award,” from the Boy Scouts of America, South Florida Chapter.
- Named Special Diplomatic Envoy to the Republic of Panama by The Sovereign Order of Saint John of Jerusalem Knights of Malta Federation of the Autonomous Priories in 2018.
- Received the 2018 “Silver Beaver Award,” from the Boy Scouts of America, South Florida Chapter.
- Named to the “WACE Co-Op, Hall of Fame” in 2017 by Dr. Eduardo Padron, president of Miami Dade College.
- Awarded the “Distinguished Alumni Torch Award” by Florida International University in 2017.
- Under his leadership, BBVA Compass was named “Company of the Year” by the Spain-U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Miami in 2016.
- Inducted into the Miami Dade College “Hall of Fame” in the area of Banking and Finance in 2016.
- Honored with the “Florida Business Ambassador Award” from Gov. Rick Scott in 2015.
- Named “Best of Miami” in the area of International Banking and Finance by Miami Today in 2015.
- Received the inaugural “Philanthropist of the Year” award by Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of South Florida in 2015,
and was named “Man of the Year” in 2010.
- Given The “Hispanic Heritage-Good Scout Award” in 2014 by South Florida Council, Boy Scouts of America.
- Received the 12th Annual “International Banking and Finance Award” by The Miami-Dade Beacon Council in 2014.
- Recognized by the South Florida Business Journal as a “Power Leader in Banking and Finance” in 2014.
- Graduated from The Center for Leadership at Florida International University “Senior Executive Leaders” program for CEOs in 2013 and was voted “Class President and Valedictorian” by his peers.
- Named a founding board member of the Florida Film and Television Investment Board by Gov. Lawton Chiles in 1994.
On a personal side, Mr. Muñoz and his wife Tere have five children. In addition to spending time with his family, Mr. Muñoz loves to cook, travel and enjoy the many cultures of the world. Mr. and Mrs. Muñoz have been named “Parents of the Year” by the Miami-Dade Public School for three consecutive years in 2019, 2018 and 2017.